Day 40 – June 18

Crabtree Ranger Station to Mt. Whitney, to some camp spot (17 miles) –

(Copied from paper journal)

My phone disappeared after Whitney! I’ll explain later but today has possibly been the best day of my journey so far. I woke up at 5am and headed towards Whitney by 6. Most folks left around 2-3am to see the sunrise from up there, too cold for me! However, I climbed Whitney solo! The highest point in the contiguous U.S.! 14,505ft up! Before this trip, I never could have thought I could summit Whitney alone. I was so afraid then! But it was incredible. I didn’t even really have to use my axe. And I didn’t have spikes. The ice and snow was a bit scary, but not as bad as if I were to go 2-3 weeks ago. 

When I reached the top, I face timed Lindsey and my parents. So crazy I could do that up there! Most people only stayed up there for 10-20 minutes to take a few photos and then leave… I ended up staying on that snowy windy mountain for almost 5 hours! 

I napped on a rock sticking out of the cliff, lost my glove to the wind, hung out in the emergency shelter, took photos of people (including Happy Snatch and Not Sorry who decided to get butt naked for the photo), and saw mountaineers who climbed up! 

I wish I could post photos to show you guys how amazing the views were. I took so many and they’re all gone!

I decided to head down with Happy Snatch and Not Sorry. We were basically running down the switchbacks! It’s unbelievable how active your brain is while hiking. There are so many obsticles on the trail, and somehow your brain can process it also quickly and your feet move like magic! 

We glissaded down a good stretch of the mountain, and it had to be one of the most thrilling experiences ever! It was so fun we had to climb back up to do it again! Happy Snatch even slid down on her belly! After that, we had to get back to the trail by hopping on boulders. I had my phone in my pocket after the glissade, but after hopping around, it was gone. I left a sign near where it went missing, but it’s not super likely to be found because I was off trail. I have learned to zip up my pockets! I almost broke down after realizing all of my photos and videos from the trail were gone. I still have memories. Life goes on!

Before the summit, I left my bear bin, umbrella and quilt behind at Guitar Lake to cut weight for the climb. When I returned, I found that the marmots ate the handle off of my umbrella! I love them and they’re super adorable, but WHAT?! Oh well, another lesson learned. 

Regardless of the bummers, today was beautiful and I’m beyond thankful that I got to experience everything I did. 

Also, here’s some photos from Forester that I stole from NotSorry! Didn’t write a blog post. And I don’t know what day. 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s